Crispy outside, fluffy inside, absolutely delicious!
This is a really easy, delicious side dish that can be whipped up in no time. We leave the skin on the potatoes to give a bit of extra goodness and the potatoes are really lifted by the addition of thinly sliced red onion and fresh tomatoes.
By boiling the cut potatoes first with tumeric in the water, the potatoes take on a lovely yellow colour and the tumeric delicately flavours the potatoes and gives that extra dimension. Vegan from the getgo, this is an enjoyable dish that the whole family will love.
- 6 medium waxy potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can peel these if you want to, but we leave the skin on)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seed (or mustard seed powder)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 5 tomatoes cut into quarters
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Place the cut potatoes in a large pot along with 1 teaspoon of the salt, turmeric, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the potatoes from the water and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix the oil, mustard seed, curry powder, garam masala, and remaining salt in a small bowl and then add to the potatoes and mix properly to make sure all of the potatoes are covered.
- Transfer the potatoes to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast in the pre-heated oven for 20 to 40 minutes, flipping the potatoes once half-way through.
- During the last 15 minutes, sprinkle over the sliced red onion and quartered tomatoes and put back into the oven to continue cooking
- Remove from oven once the potatoes are fork-tender. Serve hot and sprinkle with the chopped fresh coriander.