A lovely side dish with lots of flavour
This pilau rice is a really easy side dish that you can whip up in no time with your rice cooker. This version is vegan and really delicious. We served this as part of a finger-food medley of samosas and pakora but it could be paired with curries, any other main dish that you want to add a bit more flavour to.
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthways
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds, dry-toasted in a pan and crushed (or the same amount of cumin powder)
- 2 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 rice cooker measuring cups of long grain rice
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and gently cook until softened.
- Stir in the spices and herbs and cook for 1 minute then add the rice and stir until coated.
- Transfer rice and spice/onion mix to your rice cooker bowl and add cold water to the level 2 on the inner bowl. Close the lid and press start (make sure the setting is on white or long grain).
- Once cooked, open the lid, fluff up the rice with the spatula and remove the remaining whole pieces of spice.