Delicious, fast and nutritious...what more could you ask for?
This is a dish that doesn’t take much cooking at all – it’s a fast, tasty and nutritious meal that can be done in a flash. If you don’t fancy the chicken or are vegetarian/vegan, it can easily be swapped with a couple of tins of your fave beans or pulses.
Each half tin of plum tomatoes gives you one serving of your daily fruit and veg quota, along with the other veg in this dish, you are getting a delicious and healthy meal that’s so simple and tasty, it’ll soon become a favourite!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp oil (any kind you prefer)
- 1-2 tsp chipotle paste
- 400g tin of plum or chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- Chicken thighs or breast, or a couple of tins of pulses/beans if omitting meat
- small bunch of coriander
- salt, pepper, sugar (1 tsp or less, to taste)
- carrots, red pepper, green beans, cauliflower, baby sweetcorn cut into small pieces (or whatever veg you want)
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the chicken and brown it. Set to one side
- In the same pan you’ve fried the chicken in, fry the onions until they are soft (add a splash of water if they start to stick), then add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add one teaspoon of chipotle paste, stir and mix with the onions and garlic for a minute, then add the tin of tomatoes. If using plum tomatoes, break up the tomatoes
- Add the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar (if required – some tomatoes can be very acid and need a touch of sugar to balance them) and turn the heat down to low. If you like it spicy, you can add an additional teaspoon of chipotle paste here.
- Put the chicken back into the pan along with the veg you are using, stir to make sure the chicken is covered and leave to bubble with the lid half on to evaporate the water from the sauce for around 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir through the coriander.
Serve with rice – brown or white, with guacamole, sour cream, tortillas – whatever takes your fancy!