There's nothing better than a slab of cake with a nice cup of tea
This zingy lemon cake is very simple to make and hits the spot for an any time of day snack. We have given two options for a glaze – either a simple sugar and lemon juice drizzle makes a sticky and slightly crunchy glaze, whereas the icing sugar and lemon juice is more like a traditional iced topping…either way, it’s delicious.
This recipe has been adapted to be dairy-free (due to allergies) but we have put the dairy equivalent in brackets. We would say though, the olive oil substitute instead of butter works very, very well and blends nicely with the lemons in the cake, if you didn’t know it had been used you wouldn’t know there wasn’t butter in the cake!
- 2 (100g) large eggs, beaten
- 60ml milk (we used soya milk, any type of milk will work)
- 70ml extra virgin olive oil (or 60g butter melted)
- 130g all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. (5.3g) baking powder
- 132g sugar
- Zest (grated finely) of 2 lemons
For simple sugar glaze:
- 100g sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
For icing sugar glaze:
- 110g icing sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Make sure the kneading blade is attached to the inner pan and then add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed above (apart from the glaze). Make sure the dry ingredients are in the centre of the pan as much as possible.
- Place the inner pan into the Mini Home Bakery, close the lid and plug in the machine. Select the CAKE course and set the crust to ‘regular’. Press START.
- When the beep sounds for adding ingredients, lift the lid and with a soft spatula scrape the sides of the inner pan to remove any of the flour that might be left there.
- Close the lid and press START.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, remove the inner pan from the machine and leave to cool for a few minutes. Using over gloves, tip the cake carefully out and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the glaze:
Simple sugar glaze:
- Heat the sugar and lemon juice until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- When the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, pick the top with a toothpick/skewer and pour the glaze over the top of the cake. Repeat until all of the glaze is gone.
Icing sugar glaze:
- Combine the icing sugar with lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together until thick. If it’s not thick enough, add more icing sugar.
- Wait until the cake has cooled completely and pour the icing glaze over the cake
Restrain yourself long enough to make a cup of tea, sit down and enjoy the tangy, zingy lemon cake.