A favourite in South East Asia, this coconut drink is both refreshing, nutritious and easy to make
Perfect for a hot summers day, or after a hard workout or if you just feel like something to make you feel good. Coconut juice comes from the belly of young coconuts. Sometimes referred to as coconut water, coconut juice provides an impressive amount of nutrition and benefits your overall health. The best source of coconut juice is young coconuts. In the packaged varieties, pasteurisation kills harmful microorganisms and helps preserve the coconut juice, but it also destroys many of the health properties and essential enzymes. By adding a touch of simple creaminess and sweetness it can really make this shake addictive and give you an excellent energy boost to help you through your day!
A coconut shake pairs perfectly with spicy dishes as the creaminess tones down the spice. It also goes well with rice, well what doesn’t go well with rice?
- Young coconut (or just the bottled coconut water/juice you can buy in the shops)
- Evaporated milk and condensed milk
- Something sharp like a knife or cleaver (if using a young coconut)
- A coconut scraper or spoon (if using a young coconut)
- Take one fresh coconut (preferably pre-cooled in a fridge) and puncture a hole in the outer shell to drain out the coconut juice from inside. Please take care with sharp objects when puncturing as the outer shell of the coconuts are often hard to pierce.
- Pour 300ml of this coconut juice into a blender.
- Scrape out approximately 3 tablespoons of the coconut flesh (in these photos we used a coconut scourer) and add to blender.
- Add 1/3 of a cup of condensed cream and 1/3 of a cup of evaporated milk to blend.
- Add 6-10 ice cubes (depending on the size) to blend.
- Blend in high setting until mixture is smooth.
- Serve in a glass and refresh your senses!