Named after the salad, this bruschetta combines tomatoes, basil, pesto and mozzarella and is a tasty starter which will please everyone!
Made with delicious home-made french baguette from dough made in the Zojirushi BB-HAQ10 bread maker and sun-dried tomato pesto.
You can buy sun-dried tomato pesto ready-made, but we make our own – it’s easy to do and we find it’s nicer than shop-bought!
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato pesto
- Jar of sun-dried tomatoes (285g, drained weight around 145g)
- Cup of fresh basil
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Method for sun-dried tomato pesto
- Scoop out sun-dried tomatoes from the jar and add to a food processor
- Add a pinch of salt and black pepper
- Whizz for a few seconds in the food processor
- Add crushed garlic, basil leaves, add a little of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes (or olive oil if you prefer)
- Whizz until the pesto is a smooth paste. If needed, add more seasoning or oil.
- Store in the cleaned sun-dried tomato jar in the fridge with a layer of olive oil on top.
Ingredients for caprese bruschetta
- French baguette or ciabatta, sliced into round/ovals (slices should be about 4-5cm, otherwise they are too tall to eat!)
- Sliced fresh tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic (cut a quarter of this off and set both pieces aside)
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
- Firm mozzarella, sliced
- Chopped, fresh basil
- Salt, pepper and a dessert spoon of olive oil
Method for assembling the caprese bruschetta
- Place french baguette/ciabatta pieces under a grill or in a panini/toasted sandwich maker to toast
- While the bread is toasting, add the olive oil, the quarter piece of garlic, salt and pepper along with the tomatoes to heat through in a wok/frying pan. This is just to warm the tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked a little and warm, set aside and keep warm in tin foil
- Remove the bread from the grill and rub the three quarters piece of garlic over the surface and put a teaspoon (or a teasoon and a half, depending on how big your bread slice is) of sun-dried tomato pesto on the piece of bread and spread evenly
- Layer a piece of sliced mozzarella on top of the pesto and add several pieces of the warmed tomatoes on top
- Sprinkle the fresh, chopped basil on top
The sun-dried tomato pesto will last for around a week in the fridge. It’s also delicious mixed through pasta with chunks of crumbly feta cheese.