"Karei Rice" is one the most popular dishes in Japan, it's certainly one of our favourites!
Japanese curry has a very distinctive taste and is best described as an English style stew with a curry flavour. It’s delicious!
You can buy ready-made curry packets, but this recipe is really easy to make from scratch. Best of all if you have leftovers you can have it the next day – curry always tastes better the day after it’s been made!
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 350g stewing beef
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp. garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. tomato puree/paste
- 4 cups (1 litre) beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 potato, peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook the beef until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, cook onion, carrots, garlic, and ginger over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato puree and beef broth. Add cooked beef, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves, honey, salt, pepper and bring to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface. Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add potatoes to the saucepan, cover with lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
5. In a frying pan, add butter, flour and stir continually over medium low heat for 2 minutes. Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
6. Stir in butter, flour and curry power mixture from the previous step to the beef broth mixture and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir sporadically.
7. Add garam masala to the saucepan, adjust with salt and pepper if needed and remove from heat. Carefully remove and discard bay leaves from the sauce.
8. Serve over white rice from your Zojirushi and enjoy!
Top tip – serve with some nice pickled ginger.