Fancy trying something from Indonesia? Have a go at this Vegan recipe to get your taste buds watering.
An amazing vegan dish which is delicious, healthy and really, really easy to cook. One pan is all it takes to create this tasty Indonesian curry. Adding peanut butter at the end gives the curry a lovely rich taste and reminded us of the other famous Indonesian dish, gado-gado.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large red chilli (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 400g green beans
- 5 fresh tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 100ml water
- 2 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- Firm tofu, chopped into bite size pieces
- Chop the onion, the garlic cloves and chilli and slice the ginger into thin matchsticks.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Cook on a low heat for around 10 minutes, stir occasionally. If the mixture sticks, add a tiny bit of water to the pan.
- Top and tail the green beans, roughly chop the tomatoes and add these to the saucepan. Stir, and cook for another 5 minutes until the tomatoes are softening.
- Add the coconut milk, water, palm/brown sugar and soy sauce. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Add the tofu point and allow to cook for 5 minutes (or longer if you prefer).
- Stir the peanut butter through the finished curry and add an extra bit of soy sauce or sugar if needed.
Can be served with white or brown rice from your Zojirushi as a main meal.
You could even add additional veg, potato, sweet potato or even meat if you prefer.