This delicious banana cake is a simple and easy dessert to make in your rice cooker.
This was made in our Zojirushi NS-TSQ10 and was so easy. The finished cake is moist and full of flavour…it didn’t last long in the Yum Asia kitchen! We cheated to make it even easier and bought a ready made cake mix and just added banana!
If you want to make the cake from scratch, then the recipe below is adapted from http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2013/03/rice-cooker-cake-4-steamed-moist-banana.html
Ingredients (for a 5.5 cup capacity rice cooker)
- 3 eggs
- 110g sugar
- 110g melted butter
- 200g very ripe bananas (weight without skin
- 160g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt, less than 1/8 tsp
- butter for greasing the inner bowl
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a big bowl, set aside. Melt the butter and sugar in a non-stick pot and set aside to cool a while. Mash the bananas with a fork and set aside.
2. Add the beaten eggs to the melted butter and sugar and mix well using a manual whisk or spatula.
3. Add in mashed bananas, mix well using a spatula
4. Finally fold in sifted flour mixture using a spatula
5. Pour the cake batter into the greased rice cooker bowl. Hit the bottom of the rice cooker bowl with the flat of your hand several times in different parts of the bowl. This will ensure there won’t be any large air bubbles in the finished cake.
6. Select the ‘CAKE’ option and move the time to at least 50 minutes. It may need longer than this, so when the 50 minutes cycle has finished, test the top of the cake by gently pressing it. If it feels firm, it’s ready – alternatively insert a toothpick and it shouldn’t have any cake mixture stuck to it.
7. Remove the bowl from the rice cooker unit and allow the cake to cool for a while in the bowl. When fully cooled, put your hand inside the rice cooker bowl on top of the cake and tip out onto your hand. The bottom of the cake will have a lovely crust and you can transfer the cake onto a plate.
Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, caramel sauce or just eat by itself for a yummy afternoon treat with a cup of tea!