A super healthy meal for packed lunch or a hearty feed at night. It's 'bean' one of Greedy Panda's methods for losing weight.
A delicious side dish or an easy lunch to pop in your bento to take with you anywhere. It’s good eaten hot or cold and variations in beans and veg can be made to suit any taste!
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- 7-8 pitted black olives cut in half
- Half a cucumber cubed
- A dessertspoon of sesame seeds
- Finely chopped spring onion or red onion
- Cooked brown rice from your Zojirushi rice cooker
For the salad dressing flavour:
There are two variations one using fresh or dried chillis and one using curry powder
- 1 diced fresh chilli OR the equivalent in dried chillis OR 1 and a half dessertspoons of curry powder
- 1 dessertspoon of mustard seed powder (this can be left out if you don’t have it)
- Lemon/lime juice
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Open and drain the tins of beans and sweetcorn
- Heat a pan and dry fry the onions. Add the fresh chilli/dried chilli/curry powder (whichever you have chosen) and mustard seed powder. Fry until the onions are coated and are part cooked.
- Add the beans and sweetcorn to the pan and make sure they are covered with the spice mixture. Cook until heated through (usually about 5 minutes)
- Add the cubed cucumber, black olives, a good squirt of lemon/lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Check the seasoning (add more salt/pepper if needed), add the sesame seeds and cooked brown rice and combine with the beans/sweetcorn mixture.
Serve straightaway or set aside and cool. This salad keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight tupperware.