Coconut Ginger rice is a dish prepared by cooking white rice in coconut milk or coconut flakes. As both the coconut and the rice plant are indigenous in places all around the world, coconut rice too is found in many cultures (spanning across the equator from the caribbean to southeast-Asia). This recipe adds the warmth of ginger to enhance this popular rice dish.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 tsp minced ginger (fresh or jar is fine)
- 125ml cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Squirt of lime/lemon juice
- 1 Thai chili finely chopped (for garnish, can be left out)
- 3 scallions (spring onions) finely chopped (for garnish, can be left out)
1. Place 2 cups of rice in your Zojirushi rice cooker, add coconut milk, stock, salt and ginger. Start the cooking cycle using the normal white rice setting.
2. Once the cooking cycle has finished, stir the rice and let it sit on keep warm setting for 15 minutes.
4. Just before you are ready to serve add a squirt of lime/lemon juice and add scallion and chilli to garnish if you are using it.
5. Eat and enjoy!