Kadai chicken, another Indian favourite of ours. A very aromatic and tasty tomato based sauce with a nice balance between meat and veg.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- Chicken and whatever veg you like – we use potato (par-boiled), carrot, green beans, red pepper, broccoli, cauliflower and fresh tomatoes to garnish (add at the very end of cooking)
- 1 yellow or red onion (whichever you prefer taste-wise)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you like it very spicy!)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks (medium size)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1. Marinate chicken with ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and salt
2. Preheat a pan and splutter fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves (when the pan is hot add a little water which will splutter the seeds – we prefer to use water rather than oil because we don’t like the oil floating on the sauce, but you can use oil if you prefer).
3. Add chopped onions and fry until soft and golden and then add the marinated chicken and cook.
4. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder and mix well.
5. Add a dessert spoon of sugar, a little salt and some ground black pepper.
6. Add the chicken/onion/spices mixture when it’s cooked and stir well.
7. Simmer on a low heat and add some milk to the sauce (or plain yoghurt if you prefer) and adjust the seasoning if you need to.
8. Serve with fluffy rice from your Zojirushi.