Chicken Tikka Masala - this Panda's favourite Indian meat dish!
Chicken Tikka Masala – another Indian favourite, a lovely combination of spices in a typical tomato based masala Indian sauce. Moreish and delicious served with rice and naan or a chapati.
- 4 thin sliced tomatoes (or a tin of plum tomatoes)
- 2 thin sliced onions
- 1 little finger-width/length of ginger (julienne sliced)
- 5 cloves of garlic (julienne sliced)
- 1 green chilli
- Chicken breast
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1 pinch of fennel seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon garlic/ginger paste on chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Small amount of vinegar to mix
- Pinch of salt
- If you want the traditional pink colouring of chicken tikka add ‘red colour’ powder
1. Put chicken in a bowl and add the ‘tikka spices’, leave to stand for a while. Then gently fry to cook the chicken. You could also cook this in the oven or under a grill if you prefer, after all in India this is cooked in a tandoori oven!
1. Fry cardamom seeds, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon with the garlic and ginger until golden then
2. Add the onion, chilli and a pinch of salt. Add 1 teaspoon chilli powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric, 2 teaspoons coriander powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala.
3. Add tomatoes and water to make a sauce. Season with salt to taste and some milk or yoghurt. Add cooked chicken and leave to cook a while longer, garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice and nan.