Use your rice cooker to make this heart warming breakfast dish.
One of our favourite recipes with our Yum Asia and Zojirushi branded rice cookers. You can use the handy timer feature and have lovely hot porridge to wake up to!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup half cream & half milk (or 1 cup of milk or water – whatever you prefer)
- 3-4 spoons (or more to your own taste) honey or brown sugar
* You may need to experiment with the amounts of oats and water, depending on whether you like thick or thin oat porridge! (quantities provided here are for cooking in a 5 cup Zojirushi rice cooker, scale down for the Zojirushi or Panda 3 cup rice cooker).
1. Place steel cut oats and water in the inner cooking pan**.
2. Place the inner cooking pan in the main body of the rice cooker, plug in the unit, select the “Porridge” setting and push the “Cooking” button to start.
3. When the rice cooker turns to “Keep Warm,” open the lid, stir and add the remaining ingredients. Using the Timer function and soaking the oats overnight will help soften the texture.
4. Add any dried or fresh fruit to the porridge instead of sugar – delicious and healthy on a cold winter’s day!!
**NOTE: Do not use milk to cook the oats, this is result in a ‘boil over’ of the contents as milk reacts differently when heated. Only use water to cook the oats.